MEC&F Expert Engineers : WOMAN RECALLS WITNESSING BAD WRECK IN HARRISON COUNTY, MISSISSIPPI WHERE A TRUCK FLIPPED AND ENDED UP BY A DITCH. TWO TEENAGERS WERE INSIDE THE VEHICLE.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

WOMAN RECALLS WITNESSING BAD WRECK IN HARRISON COUNTY, MISSISSIPPI WHERE A TRUCK FLIPPED AND ENDED UP BY A DITCH. TWO TEENAGERS WERE INSIDE THE VEHICLE.



Woman recalls witnessing bad wreck in Harrison County, Mississippi where a truck flipped and ended up by a ditch. Two teenagers were inside the vehicle.









HARRISON COUNTY, MS (WLOX) -



A Perkinston woman believes she was at the scene of an accident for a reason. Over the weekend, she said she witnessed a serious wreck in Harrison County where a truck flipped and ended up by a ditch. Two teenagers were inside the vehicle.



"Oh wow! Look at that! I mean, it literally scraped the asphalt," Melissa Bankston commented Monday.



There are still scratches on the road and pieces of debris scattered along a ditch on Saucier-Lizana Road. They are reminders for Bankston of a scary scene Saturday night. Bankston and her two young sons were heading to a friend's house. They were running about an hour late and had just passed a white truck that was coming from the opposite direction.



"I heard metal, like crushing metal, glass breaking and that's what really caught my attention. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw the lights and the trees and I was like, ‘Oh no!'” said Bankston.



Bankston said she saw the truck flip and land upside down.



"My heart was definitely pounding," she said.



Bankston said she slammed on the breaks and shouted at another driver to call 911.



"When I saw the tennis shoes on the road, that's when my heart just stopped," she said.



Bankston said she jumped into the ditch and found two teenage boys in the vehicle.



"They could have gotten out on their own I'm pretty sure, but they were in so much shock and they were stunned. They weren't moving. I was like, 'Come on, y'all got to get out!'" said Bankston.



Bankston said she helped get both teens out of the truck. However, Harrison County investigators say the boys crawled out on their own. Even though the accounts of what happened that night are different, Bankston said she was glad she stopped to check on the victims.



"It makes me feel good, and I hope if my boys, when they're older and driving of course, I hope if it was to happen to them, someone would help them like that," said Bankston. "I was at the right place at the right time, and helped them out a little bit, gave them a helping hand, and went about my business."



Investigators say the two teens, ages 13 and 18, were taken to the hospital for minor injuries.