3-year-old twin boys and their grandmother died in a house fire on the 18900 block of Lahser Road in Detroit. Photographed on Tuesday, June 27, 2017. Junfu Han, Detroit Free Press
Officials released the names of the twin 3-year-old boys and their grandmother killed in a Detroit house fire early Tuesday.
Jayceon Ford, Jayshawn Ford and their grandmother, Michelle Ford, died of smoke and soot inhalation and thermal burns, Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office spokeswoman Lisa Croff said today.
All three were pronounced dead at the scene in the 18900 block of Lahser, near West 7 Mile and Grand River. Their bodies were discovered in an upstairs bedroom on the floor, officials said.
Detroit Deputy Fire Commissioner David Fornell said the stairway to the second floor burned during the fire that broke out around 12:45 a.m., cutting off their exit path.
A cousin of the twins, a 4-year-old boy, was able to escape from the basement and suffered burns to his body, Fornell said.
The accidental fire started in the kitchen and remains under investigation.
When firefighters arrived at a home on Detroit’s west side early this morning, family members told them people were trapped on the second floor.
Firefighters extinguished the flames engulfing the first floor and discovered the bodies of three people killed, including twin 3-year-old boys and their 46-year-old grandmother, who had her arms wrapped around one of the children, Detroit Deputy Fire Commissioner David Fornell said.
“When we finally knocked the fire down, the stairway was burned away … that was the only exit from upstairs,” he said. “It cut off their exit path.”
All three were pronounced dead at the scene in the 18900 block of Lahser, near West Seven Mile and Grand River. Their bodies were discovered in an upstairs bedroom on the floor, officials said.
A 4-year-old boy, a cousin of the twins, was able to escape from the basement on his own, fire officials said. He was taken to Children’s Hospital of Michigan in Detroit with second- and third-degree burns over 20% of his body and was in critical condition, Fornell said.
“It was a sad scene,” he said.
Officials have not released the names of those killed and injured.
Crews were dispatched to the home where 12 people lived around 12:45 a.m. The investigation determined the accidental fire started in the kitchen and may have been caused by a faulty stove, Fornell said.
People dropped off balloons and stuffed animals in front of the charred bungalow today, and neighbors remembered the twins as friendly, sweet boys who played with their bikes and smiled all the time.
Monique Holley said she saw the young boys Monday morning in the back yard with their grandmother, and they told her "hi."
The family who lived in the home destroyed by flames was new to the neighborhood and moved in within the last year, she said.
Holley woke up around 1 a.m. and heard screaming coming from the house next door. One man, she said, was yelling the names of the people still inside.
“The fire it just went so fast,” she said, adding flames were shooting out of the home.
Emergency crews transported two adults, a man and woman, to the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries. Firefighters said the woman was very emotional and transported as a precaution and the man was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters said they found a single smoke detector in the home, which was in basement. It was emitting sounds, but not very loudly, Fornell said.“It would not have been effective upstairs,” he said.
There's a family in need today. Around 1:00am a ferocious blaze of fire was taking the life of 3 precious souls and tried to claim a fourth. Several people were able to escape the fire however, Michelle Ford struggled to rescue her twin grandsons Jaysean and jayceon Ford. Where unable to escape the flames. Michelle was able to get the twins older brother Semaj Ford to his uncle Kelvin. Kelvin was able to get him outside the home but is currently in the ICU try to recover from second and third degree burns. Neither Michelle nor the twins had life insurance. The family will need to not only find away to pay for all three funerals but also pay for temporary housing and clothing to replace the material things lost in the fire. While there's nothing that can replace the lives of the loved ones lost in this tragic event. Any and all help will be appreciated.
My neices and nephew Precious, Quanita and Kelvin appreciate your donations.
Twin 3-year-old boys, grandmother killed in house fire on Lahser Road in Detroit
4-year-old boy badly burned, in critical condition
Twins Jayceon and Jayshawn Ford and their grandmother, Michelle Ford, were identified as the victims.
Fire investigators believe the fire was caused by a kitchen appliance. They do not suspect foul play.
The fire started about 12:45 a.m. The family was trapped upstairs on the second floor. The twin boys are 3 years old. Their grandmother, who was in her late 40s, also was killed. The 4-year-old boy suffered second and third degree burns. The child is being treated at Children's Hospital.
The victims died of smoke inhalation.
Overall, 12 people were in the home at the time of the fire. The grandmother and the twin boys died upstairs. Local 4 has learned the woman had one of the boys in her arms.
Woman known as neighborhood grandma
"The grandmother of the neighborhood. She would fee you. She would clothe you. She would pray for you. Anything you needed, she would do it. She was the neighborhood grandma," said Dominique Perkins.
Neighbor John Holley said it's devastating for everyone.
"You don't wish that upon nobody," he said.