Saturday, September 10, 2016

A container of nitrous oxide (used as booster by street racers) exploded and started a fire inside a truck on Highway 90 in San Antonio, Texas

Truck explodes, burns during street race on West Side, say investigators
By News 4 San Antonio Thursday, September 8th 2016

Police say a container of nitrous oxide exploded and started a fire inside a truck on Highway 90 on Wednesday, September 7, 2016. (Photo: Sinclair Broadcast Group)

SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS - Investigators say street racers may be responsible for a truck explosion and fire along Highway 90 on the city's West Side.

According to the San Antonio Fire Department, they were called to put out a fire on Highway 90 inside Loop 410 at about 10 p.m. on Wednesday.

Police at the scene say they believe three vehicles were racing on the access road when one of the vehicles, a truck, suffered some type of explosion connected to a container of nitrous oxide.

The chemical is commonly used as a booster by street racers. The roof of the truck blew off in the incident.

No one was hurt, but the truck was destroyed.


Overheated Nitrous Bottle Explodes In The Trunk Of A Mustang


Nitrous oxide is a power adder with several great qualities: it’s affordable, it’s relatively easy to setup, and perhaps it’s biggest selling point, it’s the only form of power adding you can just turn on or off depending on your mood. On the flipside, however, it’s incredibly volatile, requiring tedious care and attention to detail, because one wrong move or mistake can be devastating. And what you see here is the very definition of devastation, caused by the complete failure of a nitrous oxide bottle that was positioned in the hatch area of this Fox body Mustang.

According to the information posted with the image by the folks at CJ Pony Parts, and now confirmed today by News West 9 in Midland, Tex., the bottle was left in the car, closed up, on a hot summer day. A costly mistake, that was.

Nitrous bottles have specific temperature and internal pressure ratings, which are imposed to keep the bottle within a safe operating range. As the bottles heat up, their internal pressure rises (just as a tire would on a sunny day). It’s for this reason why you never want to leave your bottle heater on for too long a period of time, and certainly the reason why you never, ever want to use a torch to warm the bottle (even worse, this also weakens the structure of the bottle). But as you can imagine, on a 90-plus degree day in the sun, the temperature inside the car can reach well into the 100’s. With that ambient temperature inside and the sun beating down on the bottle through the glass, the recipe is there for disaster.

Fortunately, nitrous oxide companies are well ahead of the curve on situations like these, as any bottle produced today has a safety blow-off cap or disc installed that will safely release the pent-up pressure once it exceeds a specific psi rating before the bottle can explode. While we’d hate to speculate and falsely accuse the owner of the vehicle of any wrong-doing, tampering with or incorrectly installing the safety valves on a bottle can render these safety features useless. And in this case, the valves/discs clearly didn’t function as they were designed to.

As you can certainly surmise looking at the photo, nitrous oxide can be deadly. And we’re not talking kind-of deadly, but the kind of deadly that renders you unrecognizable. It completely destroyed this Mustang, peeling the steel fenders and the entire hatch away from the car. And according to the News West 9 report, the windshield of the car was found on the roof of the home, and parts and pieces were blown several houses away.

Nitrous oxide can be your best friend and your worst enemy, but heed the words of the safety manuals and care for it properly, and this won’t ever be you.