3 found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in home
Updated: 7:35 AM, September 09, 2016
COLUMBUS, Ga. - Officials say three people, including a toddler, have been found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning inside a home in Columbus.
Muscogee County Coroner Buddy Bryan tells news outlets that officials were called to the residence early Thursday where 23-year-old Jose Alfredo Perez, 27-year-old Edilberto Moreno and a 2-year-old child were found dead.
Bryan says the cause of death is asphyxia by carbon monoxide poisoning. He says the victims were running a gas generator inside the house for electricity.
After a chase, Lamar County authorities said Tyler Pitts opened fire on them before they struck him when…
Bryan says a fourth person, an unidentified woman, was also taken to the hospital in critical condition. Her condition is unknown at this time.
Columbus Fire Marshal Ricky Shores advises people not to use a fuel-powered generator inside a home, especially without proper ventilation.
COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Three people, including a 2-year-old, were found dead in a home on Benning Drive early Thursday morning, according to the Muscogee County Coroner's Office.
Coroner Buddy Bryan said he was called to a home at 931 Benning Drive around 1:30 a.m.
Four people were inside with a gas generator running as an alternative power source. Three of the residents were pronounced dead from carbon monoxide poisoning at 2:10 a.m.
The three people have been identified as Emily Perez, 2, Jose Perez, 23, and Edilberto Moreno, 27.
The fourth person is in critical condition at Midtown Medical Center.
"Your body can handle a small amount of carbon monoxide and it can deal with it, but over time, it builds up, it becomes obviously toxic and once you get over a couple hundred part per million then you really start seeing some severe symptoms," said Columbus Fire Marshall Ricky Shores.
Officials with the Columbus Fire Department say they believe toxic levels of the gas built up as the group used the generator as a source of electricity.
Big advocates of smoke alarms and carbon detectors, fire officials say these kinds of tragedies are often more prevalent up north, where some turn to make-shift heating devices.
"It is rare but it does happen. Usually it's more prevalent in the northern states but obviously, it can happen anywhere," said Shores.
Thursday night, dozens gathered in south Columbus for a prayer vigil honoring the three victims.
The vigil was primarily for family and friends, who gathered at the family home on Benning Road. They prayed, sang, and shared memories.
The media relations department at Georgia Power released this statement:
"This is a tragic event and our thoughts and prayers are with the family and their loved ones. If customers are having trouble paying their bill, we will make every effort to work with them to help maintain service and avoid disconnection."
Three people were killed early Thursday in a home on 931 Benning Drive. Sarah Robinson firstname.lastname@example.org
By Sarah Robinson
After three people were found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning early Thursday in a Benning Drive home, Columbus Fire Marshal Ricky Shores advised the public to keep some safety tips in mind when using generators.
Muscogee County Coroner Buddy Bryan said officials were called to the scene around 1:37 a.m. Jose Alfredo Perez, 23, his 2-year-old daughter Emily Perez and Edilberto Moreno, 27, were found dead in the home.
Bryan said the cause of death is asphyxia by carbon monoxide poisoning.
“They were running a gas generator inside the house,” he said.
Shores recommended to not use fuel-powered generators inside the home, especially without proper ventilation.
“Make sure that when you have a gas-powered appliance in your home, such as a hot-water heater or stove, that it’s maintained properly and only worked on by a licensed technician,” Shores said.
Those with gas appliances in the home should also have properly working devices to detect carbon monoxide, a gas produced any time people burn fuel in vehicles, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges or furnaces.
According to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide poisoning leads to flu-like symptoms, such as a headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.
“It’s a colorless, orderless gas that can take your life,” the fire marshal said.