Wednesday, September 14, 2016

$100,000 in damages after 6 apartment units damged by fire that started by roofing contractors


Orem firefighters responded to a two-alarm residential fire Monday afternoon.

According to Ryan Peterson with the Orem Fire Department, the fire started at 730 E. 950 South at about 11:35 a.m. The fire was at building B of the Aston Apartments, part of the University Place complex near Costco.

The blaze was caused by construction crews working on the building.

"Some construction workers were doing some work, laying tar material, which ignited," Peterson said.

Fire crews made entrance into and overhauled at least three apartments. Six units were damaged, with losses exceeding $100,000.

Six crews, including one from Provo and one from Pleasant Grove, helped battle the blaze.The fire was put out by about 1 p.m. Peterson said no one was injured in the fire and all residents were evacuated safely