MEC&F Expert Engineers : Firefighters are on the scene of a 2-alarm fire in the Bronx in a 6-story building. 4 injured thus far. UPDATE: ELEVEN PEOPLE WERE HURT IN A FIRE IN A BRONX APARTMENT BUILDING.

Friday, January 9, 2015

Firefighters are on the scene of a 2-alarm fire in the Bronx in a 6-story building. 4 injured thus far. UPDATE: ELEVEN PEOPLE WERE HURT IN A FIRE IN A BRONX APARTMENT BUILDING.



KINGSBRIDGE, Bronx (PIX11) – Firefighters are on the scene of a 2-alarm fire in the Bronx.


The fire broke out just after 5 p.m., Friday at 3971 Gouverneur Avenue in the Kingsbridge section of the borough.


The fire is on the fifth floor of a six-story building.


One person suffered smoke inhalation.


Firefighters report that at least four people were injured.


It’s unknown how the fire started.

______________________________________________________
 


ELEVEN PEOPLE WERE HURT IN A FIRE IN A BRONX APARTMENT BUILDING.

Eleven people were hurt in a fire in a Bronx apartment building.
More than 100 firefighters fought a two-alarm fire that broke out just before 5 p.m. Friday on the third floor of a six-story building on Gouverneur Avenue.

The Fire Department says two of the injuries are considered serious.
It says there was heavy fire damage on the third floor, water damage on the lower floors and smoke damage on the upper floors.

Residents we spoke with say it was a scary situation

"I came home. I took the bus and as soon as I seen all the fire people, I started wondering to myself what's going on and yeah, when I got closer, I see that it was my building that was on fire, the third floor under my apartment," said one resident.

"I opened up my apartment door. It was black and smoky. I closed the door, ran back to the bedroom, grabbed my keys, my phone, called 9-1-1. And while I was speaking to them, I came down the fire escape and came down here to the street. When we got down here to the street, we ran back inside. We were banging on people's doors, letting them know there's fire in the building. Get up. You have to leave," said another resident.

Two firefighters also suffered minor injuries.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.