Toxic mushroom ID'd as cause of student illness at Silver Lake school
A toxic mushroom species, amanita pantherina, is believed to be the cause of multiple illnesses at a Silver Lake elementary school. (KABC)
By Miriam Hernandez
Friday, September 23, 2016 11:24PM
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Several Los Angeles Unified School District students were sickened by toxic mushrooms, according to documents obtained by Eyewitness News.
Today, 10-year-old Chris Acosta has been released from Children's Hospital and is recovering at home. He says he was heaving so violently, he could barely stand up.
"I couldn't walk. I just was tired and everything from vomiting," says the fifth-grader.
His medical report from Children's Hospital identifies the suspected source: A toxic mushroom species, amanita pantherina.
Chris says mushrooms were offered to the entire class by a worker who was guiding them through the garden at Micheltorena Elementary in Silver Lake on Wednesday.
Chris' father is furious that the 10-year old was exposed to such a hazard.
"If he had eaten more I don't know what the consequences would be at that point," says Ted Acosta.
And he is not the only parent upset.
Griselda Renteria rushed her daughter to the ER after just a taste of the mushroom. The diagnosis cited on her report from Children's Hospital says "accidental poisoning from mushroom and funghi."
"She says the guy in the garden gave her a little piece and she ate just a little because she doesn't like mushrooms," says Renteria.
Today the garden is off-limits to students at Micheltorena. An LAUSD spokesperson tells Eyewitness News that now more than 100 school gardens are shutdown while the district devises a strategy to inspect every one.
Public health officials urge parents to be alert to the symptoms of possible poisoning: Difficulty walking, speaking, breathing; a decline in mental alertness.
Mushroom experts meantime say the species suspected can be found anywhere in the western United States. They warn never eat anything wild without an expert's guidance.
Chris' dad goes a step further.
"Definitely you have to teach your children not to eat something that is just picked up from the ground and offered to them," he says.
Micheltorena Elementary is holding a meeting for parents in the school auditorium Tuesday as administrators respond to the incident.
Students at LA school sickened after eating garden mushrooms
Several students at a Silver Lake elementary school became sick after their parents say they ate mushrooms grown in the garden the school shares with the community. (KABC)
By Miriam Hernandez
Thursday, September 22, 2016 08:04PM
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Several students at a Silver Lake elementary school became sick after their parents say they ate mushrooms grown in the garden the school shares with the community.
At least one parent rushed his son to Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
Ted Acosta said when he dropped his son off at Micheltorena school Wednesday morning, he was fine.
"And when I picked him up he could barely walk," Acosta said.
"I could tell he was sick. He was pale, he was shivering and he was throwing up."
He says the school principal at first suggested Acosta's son had the flu. But later that day the school called parents to let them know several students had gotten sick after eating something from the garden.
Doctors at Children's Hospital say they need to take more tests to determine exactly what sickened 10-year-old Chris Acosta.
But the fifth grader and other students had visited the community garden and a person working in the garden had given mushrooms to the kids, according to Ted Acosta.
"Within 30 to 40 minutes many kids got sick including mine," Acosta said. "They started throwing up."
Los Angeles Unified School District Superintendent Michelle King said the garden at Micheltorena has been closed and the district's environmental safety team is investigating. Also "in an abundance of caution" the safety team is also inspecting every district garden.
"We wish the affected children a speedy recovery, and remain dedicated to the safety and well-being of all of our students," King said.