MEC&F Expert Engineers : Female passenger killed after semi truck hits overpass and catches fire at I-65, I-70 north split in Indiana

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Female passenger killed after semi truck hits overpass and catches fire at I-65, I-70 north split in Indiana








 
JUNE 26, 2015
 
INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA

Emergency crews put out a fatal semi truck fire on the ramp from westbound I-70 to southbound I-65 downtown on Friday night.

Both the southbound and northbound ramps were closed so crews could get to the scene. The area was closed for several hours.

Officials said the driver lost control of the vehicle and struck a support beam, which caused the semi to burst into flames.

The female passenger of the semi was not able to escape the cab and died in the fire.

The driver of the vehicle was able to get out on his own, he was transported to Methodist in good condition.

There is also damage reported to the northbound overpass above the scene of the fire, but a bridge inspector cleared it and it will reopen at some point on Saturday.

Officials say the truck was carrying a load of paper products.