Saturday, June 10, 2017

Smoking materials in bed caused a duplex fire in South Lake Tahoe; two dogs died in the fire and a female occupant suffered smoke inhalation

A structure fire at a duplex in South Lake Tahoe sent one occupant to the hospital while killing two dogs Friday morning.

South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue responded to the 800 block of Paloma Avenue for a call received at 6:56 a.m. reporting a structure fire. According to South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue Chief Jeff Meston, the fire was knocked down 10 minutes after arrival before being fully under control at 7:45 a.m.

The adult woman who lived in unit A of the duplex, Marsha Byers, was transported to Barton Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation. Two dogs perished. The couple who lived in unit B and their five dogs were able to get out of the building without harm.

Smoking materials in bed caused the fire, which got into the building's structuring, destroyed unit A and caused significant damage to the back unit, according to Meston.