Saturday, June 10, 2017

SO MANY CRAZIES AMONG US: 35-year-old Jose Luis Cano Olivas led the Fort Worth police on a chase in an 18-wheeler that ended with a fiery crash and standoff in Arlington

By: Staff

Updated: Jun 09 2017 10:06PM CDT

ARLINGTON, Texas - A man is in custody after leading Fort Worth police on a chase in an 18-wheeler that ended with a fiery crash and standoff in Arlington.

Police said officers tried to pull over a speeding 18-wheeler near Beach Street around 1 p.m. Friday after the driver wouldn’t stop.

Police initially said the driver was a woman, but later determined it was a man and did not find a woman inside the vehicle. He has been identified as 35-year-old Jose Luis Cano Olivas.
Officers chased the possibly stolen truck at speeds of up to 100 miles per hour along eastbound Interstate 30. The truck sideswiped or hit multiple vehicles near Beach Street, Oaklawn Boulevard and Cooks Lane, officials said.

The truck ended up crashing near Cooper Street. Video from SKY 4 showed parts of the truck’s load smoldering along the highway and another smashed, burned vehicle.

Officers had their guns drawn in the direction of the 18-wheeler and SWAT vehicles pulled up alongside it after the man barricaded himself in the back of the truck's cab.

While under observation using a remote-controlled camera, police say the suspect was "acting erratically." After not seeing a weapon in sight, SWAT moved into the truck and pulled the suspect out. He was taken into custody without a struggle around 3:30 p.m. after a two and a half hour standoff and sent to a hospital.

Olivas was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth. It's unclear if he was injured in the crash. It's likely that police are doing a blood draw to check if he was under the influence before he is taken to jail.

Fort Worth police say the driver that was in the burnt vehicle behind the semi was able to escape and get to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

MedStar officials said there were eight to 12 people involved in the earlier accidents but none were seriously injured.

Truck driver Robert Saxton was one of the persons hit by the runaway semi.

"He just started banging me, shoved me all the way into the dirt," he recalled. "There was a big pole or upright or sign and all I saw was that, so I started pushing him back and he just kept bouncing me. Next thing I know, still got rubber in the front of the grill in my truck from his tire."

Saxton is just thankful he and his dog, Gadget, are okay.

"I just figure the Good Lord was looking after me," he said. "It could have been worse."

Aaron Roland was on the scene while the crash happened. He described how he saw the event unfolded.

“I was eating lunch and I just heard a crash,” Roland said. “So I went over there and I didn’t know what was going on. I just saw a bunch of debris and a truck that got smashed up behind that semi. And I keep watching it and come to find out that it’s a high-speed chase.”

Roland initially noticed the chase by the loud noise of the crash.

“It was just a loud bang like an explosion, like a transformer went off,” he said.

Roland saw wreckage when he made his way over to the scene but didn't see anyone exit the vehicle.

“I saw the truck when it was on fire,” he said. “It blew and it went everywhere.”

Dozens of onlookers lined the highway. Police warned them to stay away.

The semi belonged to an El Paso trucking company. But it's unclear if Olivas worked for the company or what his motive was in trying to outrun police.

The driver is charged with evading an officer and several counts of aggravated assault, one for every car he hit along the chase.


ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – A police chase that started in Fort Worth has ended with a fiery crash in Arlington leading to a two-hour standoff that ended peacefully.

Around 3:20 p.m. police pulled a man out of the cab of the truck.

The suspect, Jose Luis Cano Olivas, 35, of El Paso, was released from JPS hospital and is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and evading arrest in a vehicle.

Jose Luis Cano Olivas

In an interview live on CBS 11 News, Fort Worth police Sgt. Marc Povero said a traffic officer had tried to stop the semi in Fort Worth on Interstate-30 at Beach Street. But Ovilas took off, going east on I-30 — at times reaching speeds well over 100 mph.

The semi was driving recklessly from the beginning, crashing into vehicles and running cars off the highway.

There is no confirmation from police on whether or not the big rig was stolen.

The truck is owned by Pasado Transport out of El Paso.

There were approximately a dozen people injured, but non with life threatening injuries.

Arlington Police confirm the driver of the vehicle next to the 18-wheeler escaped and was taken to a hospital with non life threatening injures.

The chase came to an end in Arlington when the 18-wheeler crashed into a vehicle and a retaining wall near the Cooper Street exit. The car was basically demolished and burst into flames. Debris believed to have fallen off the semi also caught fire.

Sgt. Marc Povero said, “There is one female occupant of the truck that we’ve confirmed is still inside. We believe that she is the only occupant.”

Both the east and westbound lanes of Interstate-30 in Arlington were shut down for more than two hours.

Geoff Petrulis, who works at CBS11, was on I-30 as the man in the big rig sped past him.

“I noticed the truck in the rear view mirror. The truck passed me really close,” said Petrulis. “As soon as the truck passed me, it ran another vehicle off the road .. maybe 100 to 200 feet in front of me. At the time it didn’t look like the truck was trying to get out of the way of anything.”

According to MedStar spokesperson Matt Zavadsky there were at least four crashes on Interstate-30 in Fort Worth — at Beach, Oakland and Cooks — before the semi crashed and burst into flames in Arlington.

Arlington I-30 at Cooper fiery crash/standoff (Chopper11)

When the fiery crash initially happened, dozens of drivers and passengers exited their vehicles and stood looking at the active police situation on the highway. Sgt. Povero says is ill advised. “When you see police officers ducking behind concrete barriers with their weapons drawn, that’s an area you do not want to be at,” he said.

Police eventually cleared those onlookers and advised people to avoid the area and those already nearby the leave.

The chase in Fort Worth began before 12:30 p.m. and the crash in Arlington happened at about 12:50 p.m.

A SWAT tactical unit arrived just after 1:30 p.m., but more than a dozen officers on the ground remained behind pillars and concrete barriers, with their weapons drawn.

At 1:45 p.m. the Arlington police armored truck made its way beside the cab of the semi blocking it against the wall. About 90 minutes later, the suspect inside came out without incident and police took him into custody.

Arlington I-30 standoff (CBS11)