Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Three people were killed in a 2-alarm fire that burned through at least four apartments in Hillsborough, New Jersey

3 dead in Hillsborough, New Jersey, fire at apartment complex

Updated 5 mins ago
HILLSBOROUGH, New Jersey (WABC) -- Three people were reported dead in a fire that burned through at least four apartments in Hillsborough.

The garden style apartment complex is on Farm Road.

The two-alarm fire appears to have started in a second-floor bedroom of one home just after 10 p.m. Monday.

It spread through the roof and extended to three more apartments.

The deaths were confirmed by the Somerset County prosecutor's office.

The investigation is ongoing.


UPDATE: Three people were killed in an overnight apartment fire, the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office confirmed Tuesday morning.

HILLSBOROUGH, NJ - A two-alarm fire damaged at least four apartments in one building on Farm Road on Monday night.

The fire was reported just before 10 p.m. and appears to have started in a bedroom in a second-floor apartment before spreading to the roof.

While the fire was brought under control just before 11 p.m., firefighters working from a ladder truck were continuing to extinguish hot spots on the roof as of 11:15 p.m.

A number of fire engines, ladder trucks and ambulances from at least two township fire departments, as well as from surrounding communities, were at the scene, lining Farm Road and the apartment building's parking lot.

Residents and neighbors watched on as firefighters battled the fire. The corner of the second floor of the building had black scorch marks and much of the roof above had collapsed. Onlookers said flames from the fast-moving fire could be seen coming from the roof.

Most of the visible fire was extinguished within a few minutes, but the fire continued to burn inside walls and the roof for more than an hour. Loud fire alarms outside the building continued to go off until PSE&G cut power to the building just after 11 p.m.

One resident of the apartment building, who declined to identify herself, said she became aware of the fire when she heard the building's alarms going off. She said she could see smoke billowing from the roof. She said she was trying to find friends to stay with overnight.

Most of the firefighters left the scene just after 1 a.m., but township police and investigators remained, and were still there early Tuesday morning, joined by the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office.

The police and prosecutor's office has not released any information on the fire as of 8 a.m. Tuesday.