More residents near ammonia leak site allowed to go home
By Associated Press Friday, October 21st 2016
DECATUR, Neb. (AP) — More northeast Nebraska residents are being allowed to return to their homes days after they were evacuated because of an anhydrous ammonia leak that killed a local farmer.
Magellan Midstream Partners, of Tulsa, Oklahoma, said Friday that it is still not allowing people who live within a mile from where the pipeline leak occurred to return home. Magellan says only four homes fall within the mile radius.
Magellan has been repairing the 8-inch-diameter pipeline that carries the liquid fertilizer. When released from a tank or pipe, anhydrous ammonia becomes a lethal gas that can cause severe chemical burns and damage the tissue of the eyes, nose, throat and lungs.
Authorities have said 59-year-old Phillip Hennig, of Tekamah, was killed by the fumes Monday night while checking on the leak.