Worker shocked by power lines in Riverside area dies
By First Coast News
updated Tue, Sep 20, 2016 @ 2:38 pm
A 50-year-old Jacksonville man has died after getting shocked by a power line while painting a building in the north Riverside area Thursday, Times-Union news partner First Coast News reports.
Police said Anthony Smith was using a cherry picker lift in the 2100 block of McCoy Creek Boulevard about 10:45 a.m. when he or the machine brushed a power line and he was shocked, according to the report.
By the time the Occupational Safety and Health Administration arrived at the scene, Jacksonville firefighters were already there.
Under OSHA’s protocols, workers and equipment are supposed to stay 10 feet away from power lines. If their work necessitates them to get closer to the lines, workers are supposed to notify the local electric authority.