Monday, July 31, 2017

$75,000 in damages at a Kearny, NE home fire were due to a faulty power strip that caused an electrical short circuit in the second floor bedroom

KEARNEY, Neb. — Update: The State Fire Marshal's investigation found the blaze started in a second story bedroom due to a faulty power strip.

According to the Kearney Fire Department, damage is estimated to be $75,000. An elderly man was the sole occupant of the home, and is receiving assistance from the Red Cross.

Original Story:

The fire marshal in Kearney is working to figure out what started a house fire on Sunday afternoon.

Smoke poured from the home on the 700 block of east 36th Street in Kearney, and firefighters got the call just before 1 p.m.

Neighbors and the homeowner watched as the crew worked to ventilate the home and get to the fire source.

Kearney Fire Chief Jim Tacha said heavy smoke like this drastically reduces visibility, so firefighters have to depend on their second set of eyes.

"We do have thermal imaging cameras which are a big help, because they show where the heat source is. So if you can follow that, then it will show you where the fire source itself is, and help you know where to attack," he said.

Tacha said one person was home when the fire started, but he was able to escape.

No injuries were reported, other than to the pocketbook of the homeowner.


KEARNEY, Neb. (KSNB) - A house fire in Kearney caused thousands of dollars worth of damage.

The Kearney Volunteer Fire Department responded to a call around 1 p.m. Sunday to 711 east 36th Street. The home suffered significant damage, totaling $75,000.

The State Fire Marshal's Office was called in to investigate. The cause was determined to be an electrical short circuit in the bedroom.

No injuries were reported.