Saturday, May 20, 2017

San Antonio firefighter Scott Deem died fighting a massive 4-alarm fire at the Ingram Square shopping center; another firefighter critically injured

 San Antonio firefighter Scott Deem died fighting a massive 4-alarm fire at the Ingram Square shopping center

SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS - One of the business managers affected by the massive shopping center fire that killed San Antonio firefighter Scott Deem said his surveillance system captured what appeared to be 'high intensity flames.'

Shop manager describes surveillance video of deadly fire

Computer Repair Plus general manager Robert Guerra said he was on his way home when his phone began getting several alerts from his surveillance system.

He said he checked the phone and saw surveillance video of a large fire less than half an hour after the last employee left the shop.

In a nearby section of the shopping center, a few dozen students were in various classes at the Milan Institute.

Milan Institute instructors describe deadly fire at Ingram Square shopping center on Thursday, May 18, 2017.

Two instructors said they cleared the classrooms after smelling smoke inside the building.

Deem was one of the firefighters who became trapped inside the building when part of the structure collapsed. He was killed. Two more injured firefighters were being treated at local hospitals.

There was no word on what may have caused the massive fire.


Firefighter dies while fighting Northwest Side fire

by SBG San Antonio

Thursday, May 18th 2017

Major fire on the Northwest Side at Ingram and Northwestern. (SBG Photo)

SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Fire Department announced the death of a 6-year-veteran of the agency during a massive 4-alarm fire at a strip center near Loop 410 and Ingram Road late Thursday night.

Scott Deem died when he became trapped inside the fire at the Ingram Square shopping center, said Chief Charles Hood.

Two other firefighters were injured in the fire were identified as Brad Phipps and Robert Vasquez. Phipps is in critical but stable condition, while Vasquez was treated at the hospital and released.

During an emotional press briefing, Hood said firefighters arrived at the scene of the fire and began a 'search and rescue' operation to make sure no one was inside the building.

Mayor Ivy R. Taylor has issued a letter to Governor Greg Abbott requesting he order flags fly at half-staff in honor of fallen firefighter Scott Deem.

“We are blessed to have an outstanding fire department made up of some of the best and bravest men and women in the country. Unfortunately, last night one of our best did not make it home,” said Mayor Taylor. “We will always be in debt to Mr. Deem and the sacrifice he and his family have made. Asking the flags be flown at half-staff is just one way we as a city can pay tribute to his service.”

Flags will remain at half-staff until interment.

Congressman Henry Cuellar released a statement saying “I am saddened to learn of the tragic loss of firefighter Scott Deem. My sincere condolences to his family, his friends, and everyone in the San Antonio Fire Department. I am praying for the others who have been injured in this horrible tragedy.”

At some point, events took a dangerous turn and crew members realized two firefighters were missing believed trapped inside the fire. Because the firefighters had to take a 'defensive' approach in fighting the flames, Hood said the difficult decision was made to leave a man behind. He did not elaborate.

Chief Charles Hood confirms Firefighter Scott Deem killed in fire

Chief Hood said more information would be released on Friday morning.


San Antonio, TX - 

San Antonio Firefighter Scott Deem killed in four-alarm building fire; San Antonio Fire Chief Charles Hood confirmed around 12:30 a.m. this (Friday) morning that Firefighter Scott Deem, a six-year member of the San Antonio Fire Department, died during a four-alarm fire on Ingram Road. 

Three other firefighter were injured. 

Firefighters were called to a strip mall in the 6700 block of Ingram Road for a blaze that erupted at about 9 p.m. Three firefighters were trapped during the fight and were soon rescued. 

Firefighters later stood by as the body of Scott Deem was removed from one of the buildings after 12 a.m. Friday.