Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Richey Collision worker died after inhaling nitrogen gas that he had accidentally hooked up in a paint booth in Houston, TX


One male worker is dead after a work-related accident at an auto shop in northwest Harris County.

A worker died Tuesday afternoon at Richey Collision at 12221 Veterans Memorial Drive. Officials say the man hooked up nitrogen gas instead of oxygen in a paint booth and died after inhaling the fumes.


Auto shop worker dies after breathing nitrogen gas

By Mike Glenn
Published 7:58 pm, Tuesday, May 16, 2017


An employee at a northwest Harris County body shop died Tuesday in what authorities are calling a workplace accident.

A coworker found the man's body shortly after 6 p.m. Tuesday night inside the enclosed paint booth at Richey Collision, 12221 Veterans Memorial, Harris County sheriff's deputies said.

The employee, who has not been identified, was wearing an oxygen mask while painting at the body shop. For some reason, he unhooked from the oxygen and stepped away, authorities said.

But when he returned to the paint booth, deputies said the man apparently hooked his line into the nitrogen supply rather than oxygen. He lost consciousness and died at the scene, officials said.

Sheriff's officials said they believe the man's death was an accident. The incident will be reported to the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration, officials said.