PORTSMOUTH, N.H. (AP) -- The federal Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced the voluntary recall of 6,300 electric stoves in connection with the electrocution death of a plumber last year.
In August 2016, David Dufresne Jr., 52, a professional plumber from Portsmouth, N.H., died while installing a dishwasher.
The recall is for Blomberg and Summit electric ranges, which the commission says can become energized, posing electric shock and electrocution hazards. The recall notice states a screw wasn't installed to secure the grounding strap during manufacturing.
The rangers were manufactured by Arçelik A.S. of Turkey. They were imported by Beko of Bolingbrook, Ill.
The announcement references the Aug. 2016, death of a 52-year-old New Hampshire plumber who was electrocuted while installing a dishwasher.
The stoves are described as Blomberg BERU 24200 SS, BERU 24100 SS and Summit CLRE24 24-inch wide freestanding glass top electric ranges that were sold in stainless steel and black.
For more information call Arçelik toll-free at (877) 271-1489 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or online at blombergappliances.us and click on Recall Information.
In August 2016, a 52-year-old professional plumber from Portsmouth, New Hampshire died from electrocution when he came in contact with an energized range and a grounded object.
This recall involves Blomberg BERU 24200 SS, BERU 24100 SS and Summit CLRE24 24-inch wide freestanding glass top electric ranges. The ranges were sold in stainless steel and black. A label on the lower frame of the range inside the over door has the brand name “Blomberg” or “Summit,” the model name and number BERU 24200 SS, BERU 24100 SS or CLRE24 and a 10-digit serial number. Serial numbers included in the recall are:
12 XXXXXX XX
15 XXXXXX XX
16 XXXXXX 03
16 XXXXXX 06
13 XXXXXX XX
16 XXXXXX 01
16 XXXXXX 04
16 XXXXXX 07
14 XXXXXX XX
16 XXXXXX 02
16 XXXXXX 05
16 XXXXXX 08
The ranges were sold by AJ Madison, State Street Discount and other stores nationwide and online at Amazon.com from October 2012 through March 2017 for between $1,000 and $1,500.
They were manufactured by Arçelik A.S. in Turkey.
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled ranges, and avoid all direct contact with the product until the electricity supply is shut off. Consumers should contact Arçelik A.S. to schedule a free on-site inspection and repair.
Contact Arçelik toll-free at 877-271-1489 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or online at www.blombergappliances.us and click on Recall Information at the bottom of the page.
Plumber’s electrocution death in Portsmouth, NH
Thursday Posted Aug 18, 2016 at 10:45 AM Updated Aug 18, 2016 at 2:50 PM
By Elizabeth Dinan
PORTSMOUTH – Police have confirmed a Rochester plumber died of an accidental electrocution while working in the McIntosh condominium building on Fleet Street Tuesday and the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating.
Detective Sgt. John Peracchi said the police investigation into the death of self-employed plumber David Dufresne Jr., 52, is complete. Further investigation will be conducted by OSHA, he said.
David Dufresne Jr., a 52-year-old self-employed NH plumber was electrocuted on Aug. 18, possibly when a copper line came in contact with the cord of an improperly installed electric stove
First responders were first notified about Dufresne’s death on Aug. 18 at 8:13 a.m. by a 911 caller, Deputy Fire Chief Carl Roediger said Tuesday. According to the public police log, the fatal accident occurred on the sixth floor inside apartment number 2. Roediger said it appeared Dufresne was installing a dishwasher at the time.
Rose Ohar, OSHA’s regional director, said her office opened an investigation after learning about Dufresne’s death.
“Electrocution is one of our top hazards for fatalities around the country,” she said. “So we’re taking a close look.”
Ohar said OSHA does not have jurisdiction over “sole proprietors,” in other words private property, but is investigating anyway.