Friday, March 24, 2017

Salem, Mass. contractor painting windows using a lift bucket at a fire station was electrocuted to death by live wires

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

SALEM, Mass. (AP) — Authorities in Massachusetts say a contractor painting windows at a fire station has died after he was electrocuted by live wires.

Salem Police Capt. Fred Ryan says the man was using a lift bucket on Tuesday when he became entangled with the wires at
64 Loring Avenue.

He was identified on Wednesday as 59-year-old James Kennedy, of Salem.

Authorities at first couldn't reach the man and rescue him quickly due to the energized equipment.

National Grid responded and shut off the power. Kennedy was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police say Kennedy was an employee of an outside contractor. A spokesman with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration says the agency is conducting an inspection.


SALEM, MA – The man who was killed Tuesday after coming in contact with power lines has been identified as James Kennedy, 59, of Salem.

Kennedy was painting the fire station at 64 Loring Avenue when the aerial lift he was in became entangled in electrical wires, according to the Essex District Attorney's office. OSHA and the National Grid Safety Team responded to the scene.

Salem Police confirmed Tuesday evening that the 59-year-old man died after the incident.

Salem Police Captain Fred Ryan said the man was unconscious when authorities first arrived at 64 Loring Ave. The call was logged at 2:44 p.m.

National Grid got the man out of the bucket truck he was working in when the incident occurred. Ryan said just before 4 p.m. that Broadway is blocked off at Canal Street, and the area around Rainbow Terrace is blocked off.

This story will be updated.