Sunday, October 2, 2016

Worker died after being electrocuted while working on a light fixture at the Walmart on Nelson Road in Lake Charles, LA

Man electrocuted while working on light fixture at 3451 Nelson Road Walmart Tuesday, September 27th 2016, 5:10 pm EDTTuesday, September 27th 2016, 7:31 pm EDT
By KPLC Digital Staff


A man died on Monday afternoon after being electrocuted while working on a light at the Walmart at 3451 Nelson Road, authorities said.

Lake Charles Fire Chief Keith Murray said when firefighters arrived on the scene, the worker was still being shocked and had been for some time.

He said he did not know how long the man was being shocked before his crew got there.

The worker, whose name has not been released, was lying on top of a generator and working on a light fixture high in the air.

This accident did not happen inside the store, so no customers or employees witnessed the incident, Murray said.

EMS officials were called first but they couldn’t reach the man. That’s when the fire department was called.

The man was pronounced dead at a local hospital, Murray said.

Charles Crowson, senior manager of Walmart corporate communications, released the following statement: “Our thoughts go out to the family and loved ones of this worker accidentally killed at our store. We’ll continue assisting investigators, as they determine what happened.”