OCTOBER 7, 2016
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — One man suffered "serious injuries" after a hazardous materials leak at the Coca-Cola Bottling plant at 4000 Amnicola Highway Friday morning, according to the Chattanooga Fire Department.
Spokesman Bruce Garner says employees were mixing chlorine dioxide when it got too hot, and it spilled onto one employee. Roughly 250 gallons were in the container that spilled.
Chattanooga Fire Department spokesman Bruce Garner tweeted from the scene.
Garner also confirmed one employee was transferred to the hospital.
This happened just before 11 a.m.
Garner says the leak involved chlorine dioxide, and that the leak is contained. Garner says the chemical is used to sanitize water.
Garner says the plant remains closed while investigators clear up the scene.
This is a developing story. We have a crew on the scene getting more information. Depend on us for updates as we get them.