October 27, 2016
OSHA cites Illinois manufacturer after electrician's first day
ends tragically when mobile trailer falls, fatally crushes him
Inspections in Monee, University Park find seven serious safety violations
MONEE, Ill. - The absence of safety pins in two hydraulic leg stands and the failure to use stationary jacks allowed a mobile medical trailer to fall and fatally crush a 58-year-old electrician on his first day working on the job for an Illinois manufacturer of custom trailers and specialty vehicles.
On Oct. 17, 2016, the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration cited Advanced Mobility by Kentucky Trailer, based in Monee, for one serious safety violation, for violating OSHA's general duty clause, after its investigation of the July 5, 2016, fatality.
Investigators determined another worker inadvertently cut a hydraulic line that allowed the trailer to fall on the electrician as he worked beneath it. They found the company failed to ensure the use of safety pins on the trailer's front two hydraulic leg stands, and the use of rear stationary jacks to prevent the trailer from falling.
"I can't imagine the incredible loss this man's family and friends felt when his first day on the job ended tragically," said Kathy Webb, OSHA's area director in Calumet City. "Advanced Mobility could have prevented his death by using simple safety devices like safety pins, and jacks and implementing procedures to ensure hydraulic energy was isolated. This employer failed in its responsibility to take all necessary precautions to protect workers on the job."
The fatal incident in Monee prompted a subsequent inspection in response to a complaint of unsafe working conditions at Advanced Mobility's University Park facility. After that inspection on July 13, 2016, OSHA cited the company for six serious safety violations for:
- Lacking a lockout/tag out program to isolate energy when working on fixed de-energized electrical equipment or circuits.
- Allowing workers' exposures to lead.
- Failing to implement engineering controls to prevent lead exposure.
- Not training workers about potential lead exposure, hazardous chemicals in use in the facility or on powered industrial vehicle operation and hazards.
OSHA has proposed the company pay penalties of $58,792. View citations issued here.
Based in Louisville, Kentucky, Advanced Mobility by Kentucky Trailer specializes in mobile medical trailer manufacturing and refurbishing. Its parent company, Kentucky Trailer builds custom trailers and specialty vehicles for the mobile healthcare, television production and broadcast, and banking industries, and for sports and special events.
The company has 15 business days from receipt of its citations and penalties to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA's area director, or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
To ask questions, obtain compliance assistance, file a complaint, or report amputations, eye loss, workplace hospitalizations, fatalities or situations posing imminent danger to workers, the public should call OSHA's toll-free hotline at 800-321-OSHA (6742) or the agency's Calumet City Area Office at 708-891-3800.
Under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, employers are responsible for providing safe and healthful workplaces for their employees. OSHA's role is to ensure these conditions for America's working men and women by setting and enforcing standards, and providing training, education and assistance. For more information, visit http://www.osha.gov.
# # #
Advanced Mobility by Kentucky Trailer
Mobile Medical Trailers
In 2012, Advanced Mobility built the first new mobile Philips wide-bore Ingenia 1.5T MRI in North America for the Vancouver Island Health Authority. In 2013, Advanced Mobility built a new Mobile Philips Ingenia 1.5T MRI that met all European road, design and technical specifications and shipped the trailer overseas to Mor-Mar Ltd. In 2014, the first-of-its-kind GE Discovery IQ PET/CT trailer was built and exhibited at SNMMI 2014, followed a month later by the roll-out a new Siemens Biograph 16 TruePoint PET/CT Trailer for Alliance HNI.
New Trailer Designs and BuildsWith nearly three decades of experience, our innovative new designs and cost-effective engineering has made us a leading, world-class manufacturing company designing and building custom MRI, PET/CT and CT trailers and transportables for GE, Philips, Siemens and Toshiba. As an ISO 9001:2008 Certified company, Advanced Mobility had been designated a preferred manufacturer by GE, Philips, Siemens and Toshiba.
We realize that each client has a unique set of requirements and our design team will offer all the possible customizing options with regards to both the overall design and the equipment requirements. Plus, our work comes guaranteed with a One (1) Year Warranty.
- Electrical systems
- "Green" power generation with better fuel efficiency
- "Green" heating and air conditioning systems
- Dual slide-out units to increase treatment room area
- All-aluminum lower compartments with lockable, well-sealed doors
- Long-lasing interior and exterior LED lighting
- Customized interior colors, materials and furnishings
- Exterior graphics from customer artwork
- Direct interface with medical equipment vendor technicians
Mobile Medical Trailer UpgradesAdvanced Mobility offers the highest quality and most cost-effective approach to refurbishing and upgrading mobile medical trailers regardless of modality or original manufacturer. Our experienced team has the ability to perform the following:
- Replace all exterior skin and components, including lifts, doors, generators, ECUs, lights, and stairs
- Repair or replace all undercarriage components, including shocks, airbags and tires
- Repair or replace interior components, including cabinets, walls, floors, ceilings and electrical components
- Realign and repair single and double slide-out units
- Fire detection and suppression systems
- Critical to Function Monitoring Systems
- RF Repair
- Oxygen and Suction Installation
- Radiation Protection
- Hot Lab Installation