Worker electrocuted during driveway installation project
September 15, 2016
CALEDONIA TOWNSHIP, MI – A worker installing a driveway was electrocuted Thursday, Sept. 15, when a long extension pole he was using touched a power line and ground stake, police said.
Michael Andrew Dieleman, 37, of Byron Township, died at Metro Health Hospital.
The accident happened around 10 a.m. in the 6200-block of Egan Avenue SE while Dieleman was working for his father's company, T.F.C. Construction, installing the driveway.
Kent County sheriff's deputies said Dieleman was using a large concrete float (bull float) with a long extension when the pole contacted both the power line and a metal ground stake.
The first rescuers on the scene reported that the victim was unresponsive. He was taken by ambulance to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. The Sheriff's Department is investigating with Consumers Energy and Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration.