Liquid propane gas may have triggered the home explosion Sunday in Marquette County, Wisconsin that injured 2 and totaled the home
TOWN OF MONTELLO, Wis. - Investigators are looking into what role LP gas might have played in a home explosion Sunday in Marquette County.
The two homeowners, who were at home during the explosion, had reported the smell of gas and had it checked out Friday, Marquette County Sheriff Kim Gaffney said.
Gaffney said the home is a total loss. It was knocked completely off its foundation and the roof was separated.
He said the home was connected to a private LP gas tank, but declined to say what private company was serving the home. He also said there was a painting crew at the house over the weekend.
“They were there for the weekend, had smelled some gas, contacted their supplier and they came out and did checks on the place, but something happened where they didn’t have it or the leak was undetermined, and that’s the theory we’re working on at this point,” Gaffney said.
The two homeowners suffered some injuries in the explosion.
Gaffney said the investigation is ongoing.
Sheriff: Marquette County house explodes, 2 people injured
Updated: Jul 17, 2017 07:12 AM CDT
TOWN OF MONTELLO, Wis. - A home in rural Marquette County exploded Sunday morning, injuring two people inside, Marquette County Sheriff Kim Gaffney said.
Gaffney said dispatchers received a call of a house exploding at around 8:37 a.m. at W1755 White Lake Ct. in the town of Montello.
"It was a vibration. It was a bang. It was stronger than a sonic boom, stronger than the thunder we've been having with all that rain," neighbor Eileen Niven said. "I could feel it. It shook the house. It shook the foundation. "
Upon arrival, deputies found the home's occupants outside; they suffered from non-life threatening injuries and were taken to a local hospital, the sheriff said.
"The home appears to be severely damaged from what looks like an explosion," Gaffney said in an email to News 3.
Neighbors told News 3 Reporter Keely Arthur that the two people who lived in the house moved in last month, calling it their "dream retirement home."
An eyewitness said next door neighbors were able to get homeowners out of the house during the explosion.
"Both homeowners were in the house. Two other neighbors went in and got them out," Niven said. "They brought over a couple of chairs so they could at least sit."
Gaffney said Marquette County deputies and the Montello Fire Department are investigating the incident Sunday afternoon.
Authorities have not released a cause as of Sunday afternoon.