LANCASTER, Pa. (WHTM) – An electrical malfunction ignited a fire that destroyed a Jeep Wrangler and another car parked next to it at a Lancaster Township apartment building.
Township fire officials said the Jeep’s owner heard his car alarm around 2 a.m. Monday. When he went to investigate, he saw his 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited in a ball of fire.
The Jeep and a 2001 Buick Century were a total loss.
Fire officials said the stubborn fire was fed by leaking gasoline and burning magnesium components in the Jeep’s engine and dashboard.
LANCASTER, PA — Fire officials in say an electrical malfunction in a Jeep Wrangler sparked a fire that destroyed it and another car.
Investigators say the owner of the Jeep awoke around 2 a.m. Monday to the sound of his car alarm and went outside his apartment in Lancaster to find the vehicle in a ball of flames.
It took crews nearly two hours to extinguish burning vehicles, with the fire being fed by leaking gasoline and burning magnesium parts within the engine.
Officials say both vehicles are a total loss.
Lancaster Township Fire Chief Ron Comfort Jr. says the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction in the Jeep.