Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Welding work on SUV is likely the cause of a massive fire in Brighton, Colorado that destroyed several businesses.

BRIGHTON, Colo. (CBS4)– Fire investigators believe welding is likely the cause of a massive fire in Brighton that destroyed several businesses.

The fire broke out on North Main Street in Brighton on Friday afternoon. Firefighters say multiple flammable materials inside the building, which housed several businesses, caused explosions.

(credit: CBS)

Fire crews were forced to fight the fire from outside the building. Investigators believe welding at the body shop ignited the fire.

Several nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution. All those families were back home by Saturday morning.

Copter4 flew over the burning building in Brighton (credit: CBS)

The building housed a market, hair salon and auto body shop.

All three businesses were destroyed.

(credit: CBS)


Welding work on SUV “most likely caused” explosive Brighton fire

Commercial building blaze on Friday affected several businesses in commercial structure

Natalie Ridderbos, Brighton Fire spokeswoman Brighton Fire Rescue battled a fire that consumed a tire shop, sounding off loud pops believed to be tires exploding and sending dark plumes into the sky on June 2, 2017.
By Jon Murray | jmurray@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
June 3, 2017 at 7:21 pm

A fire that consumed an auto body shop, a market and a hair salon originated in the shop’s vehicle maintenance area, Brighton Fire Rescue said Saturday.

Tires exploded as the fire engulfed the commercial building Friday afternoon and evening, sending plumes of smoke that were visible for miles. The building is on North Main Street near Longs Peak Street.

Natalie Ridderbos, a Brighton Fire Rescue spokeswoman, said in a news release Saturday evening that an investigation found that the fire started in the auto shop’s maintenance area. It was “most likely caused by welding work being conducted on an SUV,” Ridderbos said.

As firefighters fought the blaze, nearby homes were evacuated. Nobody was injured, but the fire department said the building was a total loss.