Fire officials release cause of fire in which Upstate Salvation Army captain was injured
Fire happened Saturday night
Updated: 11:55 AM EDT May 29, 2017
SPARTANBURG, S.C. —
An Upstate Salvation Army captain was injured in a house fire Saturday night.
The fire happened Saturday around 11 p.m. on Hunters Pointe Drive, according to the North Spartanburg Fire Department.
Fire officials said that the homeowner, who is a captain with the Salvation Army, suffered burns.
Firefighters said no one else in the home was hurt.
The homeowner was working on his motorcycle in the home’s garage when fumes ignited, according to the North Spartanburg Fire Department.
The fire has been ruled an accident.
One firefighter was treated at the hospital for minor injuries.
The Salvation Army of Orangeburg posted on its Facebook page Sunday, asking for prayers for Captains Donnie and Paullete Marvels.
A release from the Salvation Army said: "Salvation Army Spartanburg leaders Paulette and Donnie Marvels are doing well after the house fire that destroyed their living quarters on Saturday evening. The Marvels are living in temporary housing and Salvation Army officers and corps (church) members are caring for their physical, emotional, and spiritual needs.
"'This type of care is the core of who we are,' said Major Tom Louden, general secretary of The Salvation Army of the Carolinas. 'Every single day, in towns and cities and rural areas, The Salvation Army is providing hope and healing to people in the most need.'"
"Capt. Donnie Marvels, who suffered burns on his hands and feet, is expected to make a full recovery.
"'Our family deeply appreciates the love shown to us from our community,' said Capt. Paulette Marvels. 'We are blessed to have such lovely friends, neighbors, and colleagues to support us during this time. Now it is time for the healing to begin.'"
"The Marvels respectfully request privacy at this time. No further updates are expected."