Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Disciples of Christ Christian Church volunteer Chris Goins was electrocuted to death when the manlift that he was using to clean out gutters touched a power line

DANVILLE, Ind. — The Danville Police Department has identified a contractor who was electrocuted to death at a church on Saturday morning.

Officers say 59-year-old Chris Goins was fatally shocked when a power line came in contact with a lift that he was on while cleaning out gutters.

Authorities were called the scene at the Disciples of Christ Christian Church around 11 a.m. but they had to wait for the power company to shut down the lines before reaching Goins. When they got to him, it was too late.

Another man was with Goins at the time of the accident, but police say there wasn’t much he could do.

“He was out here with another gentleman. The other gentleman is actually the one who called 911 and obviously there was nothing that individual could do, the lift was still in contact with the power line,” said Officer Nate Lien.

Authorities tell FOX59 that Goins was a well-known figure in the community. A GoFundMe page has been created to cover funeral expenses.

On this day, we have lost a father, husband, grandfather, friend, and a true patriot. Chris was the first to offer his help to those in need and was taken from us doing just that, volunteering his time to a local church. His heart was as big as a mountain and those who knew him, loved him dearly.  He knew no stranger.  He commanded any room he walked into and would give you his last dollar.  We have never met someone that worked as hard as he did for his family, community and his Legion. Always helping those less fortunate.
We are now asking  in return some support for his family in their time of need. He has given us so much, that it is now our time to show his family our unconditional love and help them through this horrible tragedgy. Being self-employed has its draw backs, and lack of life insurance is one of them. Please find it in your hearts to reach out and do what you can to help.
ALL proceeds of this page will go directly to Connie and the family to cover funeral expenses and any other expenses they will have.  


INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – When Danville emergency crews arrived to save Chris Goins yesterday, it was already too late.

"I was here and the power went out and we heard there was an accident, but we never would've guessed what it was," said Lori Clark, the Ladies Auxiliary president for American Legion Post 118 in Danville.

Goins, a self-employed contractor, had volunteered to clean out the gutters of a local church.

While in his electric lift vehicle, he came into contact with a high-voltage power line, which electrocuted him.

First responders couldn't get to him until the power was cut. They pronounced him dead at the scene.