Monday, May 15, 2017

Cause of the house fire in Rushville, Indiana is due to an overload to the wiring circuit in the bathroom

Rushville, Indiana

The Rushville Fire Department responded to a report of a residential structure fire at 2:38 a.m. on Monday, May 8.

Upon their arrival, firefighters were met with heavy smoke and fire at the front door of the residence. Shortly after, firefighters were able to contain the fire to a bedroom and bathroom of the residence.

There were nine Rushville Fire Department personnel that responded to the scene. They were assisted by firefighters from Rushville Township fire department, Raleigh Volunteer fire department, Rush County Sheriff’s Department, Rushville Police Department and Rush Memorial Hospital ambulance.

The fire was investigated by Lieutenant Richard Tracy and firefighter Michael Harr. Lieutenant Tracy said, “The fire originated in the bathroom and spread to the bedroom. It is probable that the cause of the fire is due to an overload to the wiring circuit in the bathroom.”

During the investigation, it was found that the home did not have working smoke detectors. The Rushville Fire Department encourages all residences to have and maintain working smoke/fire detectors. For more information pertaining to smoke detectors, you can contact the Rushville Fire Department at 765-932-3065.