GOLD BAR, WA — A man died after he came in contact with a downed power line in Gold Bar, WA on Monday evening.
People in the Mountain View Diner along Croft Avenue heard a loud noise around 5:45 p.m. They went outside and found a man lying near the train tracks behind the restaurant.
“It was a freak accident. Somehow the power line broke off. It’s not windy,” said Chief Eric Andrews with Fire District 26.
It’s unknown whether the line had fallen on the man or if he approached a downed line, Andrews said.
If a power line is on the ground, people should stay at least 60 feet away until the power is cut, he said. Anyone within 60 feet could be electrocuted.
All trains were stopped until the Snohomish County Public Utility District could turn off the power. The Snohomish County Medical Examiner is expected to release the man’s identify.
No additional information was available Monday evening.
GOLD BAR, Wash. — A man was electrocuted by a downed power line near Mountain View Diner in Gold Bar, Washington Monday evening.
Patrons told Snohomish County firefighters that they heard an “electric humming” coming from behind the diner at 1306 Croft Avenue just before 6 p.m. When they walked outside they discovered the man.
Chief Eric Andrews with Fire District 26, said the man was “severely burned” and died instantly from severe injuries.
His identity and age was not immediately known.
It was also unclear if the 115,000-volt power line had fallen on the man or if he had touched the fallen line.
Andrews called the incident a “freak accident,” saying it wasn’t windy and no cars hit the power poles. Adding it “just came down.”
Transmission Line for Puget Power owns the line, according to Andrews. The Snohomish County Public Utility District has shut off the power to the line.
Andrews warns residents to stay at least 60 feet away from downed power lines.