January 5, 2017
Employer cited for 21 serious safety, health violations
- Employer name:
- Nemo Plastics Inc.
- Inspection site:
- 1425 Candler Road
- Gainesville, Georgia 30507
Investigation findings: OSHA issued the serious citations for:
- Exposing workers to explosion and fire hazards by allowing combustible dust to accumulate.
- Failure to provide employees personal protective clothing.
- Failure to implement a hazardous energy control program to prevent machinery from starting up during maintenance and servicing.
- Failure to evaluate spaces such as silos to determine if they were permit-required confined spaces.
- Exposing workers to amputations hazards due to missing machine guards.
- Failure to develop a noise monitoring program.
Proposed penalties: $133,443
Quote: "Nemo Plastics is responsible to assess workplace hazards and ensure measures are taken to protect employees," said William Fulcher, OSHA's area director in the Atlanta-East Office. "Workers should not have to risk their lives or health to provide for themselves and their families. The hazards identified during this complaint inspection are preventable by taking basic safety precautions such as providing personal protective equipment, performing routine housekeeping and guarding machines so that a worker doesn't get injured or killed."
The citations can be viewed at:
Based in Atlanta, Nemo Plastics receives waste cardboard and plastics to recycle the material for shipment to further processing companies to be reused. The employer has 15 business days from receipt of its citations and proposed penalties to comply, request a conference with OSHA's area director or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
To ask questions; obtain compliance assistance; file a complaint; or report amputations, eye loss, workplace hospitalizations, fatalities or situations posing imminent danger to workers, the public should call OSHA's toll-free hotline at 800-321-OSHA (6742) or the agency's Atlanta-East Area Office at 770-493-6644.
- Nemo Plastics, Inc. was founded in 1997.
- Nemo Plastics, Inc. handles over 75 million pounds of post industrial / post consumer pounds of plastic per year.
- Nemo Plastics, Inc. specializes in PCR plastics materials as well as Post Industrial plastic materials.
- Nemo Plastics, Inc. is an international company with an emphasis on domestic sales.
- 30 day terms for quick payment.
- Spotted Trailers for easy loading and storage.
- Prompt scheduling and removal of trailers.
- Nemo Plastics, Inc. has a certified on site scale to accurately weigh all inbound and outbound shipments.