January 12, 2017
suffers serious injuries in trench cave-in at Brandon work site
More than 22 killed in trench incidents in 2016
- Employer name:
- Kempf Construction Inc.
- Sioux Falls, South Dakota
OSHA found Kempf Construction failed to:
- Protect employees working in a trench.
- Failed to slope sides of trench in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Properly place a ladder used to access the trench box.
- Remove employees from the trench when hazardous conditions were apparent.
- Provide sanitary facilities on the job site.
Background: OSHA has a national emphasis program on trenching and excavations. Trenching standards require protective systems in trenches deeper than 5 feet, and soil and other materials kept at least two feet from the edge of trench.
Proposed Penalties: $40,538.
View Citations here.
To ask questions, obtain compliance assistance, file a complaint, or report amputations, eye loss, workplace hospitalizations, fatalities or situations posing imminent danger to workers, the public should call OSHA's toll-free hotline at 800-321-OSHA (6742) or the agency's Sioux Falls Area Office at 605-251-2021.