After natural gas explosion, fire official recommends you check your home
By Deedee Sun |
Posted: Sat 12:44 AM, Oct 22, 2016 |
Updated: Sat 1:00 AM, Oct 22, 2016
WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - More than two days after an explosion flattened a woman's home in Lincoln County on Wednesday, she remains in critical condition at a Wichita hospital. The Lincoln County Sheriff's office said Friday a natural gas leak caused the explosion, but fire marshals don't know where the leak came from.
That same Wednesday morning in Portland, OR, A natural gas leak caused a massive explosion that destroyed several businesses, and hurt seven people, including two firefighters.
Eyewitness News asked a local fire marshal how people can prevent natural gas leaks and explosions. The Andover Fire Marshall says there are some steps you can take to help keep your home safe and say you should get it checked by a professional on a regular basis.
"Seasonally, as we come into this cooler season, it's important to get your homes and appliances checked out, especially heating appliances when they've been sitting idle all summer long," said Mike Roosevelt, the Fire Marshall in Andover.
"If people have not been using their gas appliances, when you energize them that first time there's always that potential," he said.
He also says you should trust your senses, to detect a leak - natural gas has a chemical added to it, that gives it a rotten egg, sulfur smell.
"If you smell an abundant smell, evacuate," Roosevelt said. "If gas accumulates to a high level, an extensive explosion can occur."
Kansas Gas Service also has these tips:
- If you see a yellow flame instead of a blue one on your furnace, it's a warning sign your natural gas isn't burning properly.
- If you hear a hissing noise around your natural gas meter or appliances, you might have a leak.
- If you see unexplained dead vegetation or bubbling puddles of water around your yard or natural gas meter, you might have a leak.
On Saturday, American Family Insurance will build a fence around the remains of the home destroyed by the explosion, so they can investigate what caused the leak without disturbance. A 57 year old woman inside the home suffered severe burns and is still at a Wichita hospital.