Fire Dept responds to chemical spill at local plant
Several workers taken to the hospital
By Elisa Raffa | email@example.com
Updated 09/26 2016 06:45PM
SIOUX CITY, Iowa
Several people were taken to the hospital with burns after a sulfuric acid spill at a Sioux City plant on Monday.
Firefighters responded to the chemical spill around noon. It happened at the Feed Energy facility in the 800 block of Cunningham Drive.
Feed energy makes animal feed products and uses acid in its production process. Sulfuric acid is a colorless and odorless liquid that is highly toxic. In addition to burning skin upon contact, the chemical can also cause permanent blindness if it gets into the eyes.
While fire crews said several workers at the plant were taken to the hospital, there was no immediate word on the extent of their injuries.
The company did not return our calls for comment on the incident.