Friday, September 30, 2016

Damaged 4-inch gas line ignites, burns two construction workers in Arlington, Texas

A gas leak that ignited with large flames Tuesday in an Arlington neighborhood has been capped, and the fire is out.

The Arlington Fire Department says a utility contractor, unrelated to Atmos Energy, struck a four-inch gas line just before noon along Crowley Road at the intersection with Verona Court.

By about 1 p.m. an Atmos Energy crew arrived and began work to control the leak.

Then, just after 4 p.m., the leak ignited for an undetermined reason. One worker had a minor, non-burn injury, fire officials said, and did not require a trip to the hospital.

Firefighters used three water hoses to contain the flames and protect nearby homes – none of which were occupied. No evacuations were ordered, and no other injuries were reported.

By about 7:30 p.m. the leak had stopped and the fire was out.

The city of Arlington's Hazardous Materials Response and Gas Well Response Team provided additional support and equipment to assist in stopping the leak and fire, officials said.

There were early reports that two workers were lightly burned from the fire.  Their excavation equipment can be seen at the fire location as the firefighters are pouring water over it.


Gas leak that ignited in Arlington neighborhood has been capped, fire extinguished

Firefighters have contained fire burning from a gas line that ignited Tuesday evening in an Arlington neighborhood.

The four-inch gas line on Crowley Road, near Verona Court, was nicked about 11 a.m. while crews worked to bury a line. something caused the line to ignite at about 4 p.m., while Atmos crews were repairing the line, Arlington fire Lt. David Tyler said.

One construction worker was hit in the face with an object when the line was cut, but was not burned, Tyler said.

No treatment was required.

One woman who lived near the gas line went outside to see what happened and self-evacuated. No further evacuations were necessary because no one else was home at the time, Tyler said.

The fire department searched the five homes in the area and found a dog, which they temporarily took into their care while the crews continued to work to cap the line, he said.

Firefighters have water hoses trained on the ignition site, to keep the flames from spreading to a nearby house, KXAS-TV (NBC5) reported.

By about 7:30 p.m., crews had finished repairs and the fire was out, Tyler said.