MEC&F Expert Engineers : A man escaped injury after a propane gas explosion in the basement of his home in Pittsburgh's East Allegheny neighborhood

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

A man escaped injury after a propane gas explosion in the basement of his home in Pittsburgh's East Allegheny neighborhood



Propane tank explosion damages North Side home
UPDATED 5:17 PM EDT Jul 04, 2016



PITTSBURGH —A man escaped injury when a propane gas explosion in the basement of his home in Pittsburgh's East Allegheny neighborhood blasted out the front doors and first floor windows Monday. It caused structural damage which brought a condemnation notice from the city building inspectors.

John Koscakowsky said he was trying to cut the top off a propane tank he thought was empty, but stepped away just before the gas ignited. His wife had just left the house to shop.


"I said, 'I'm going to Giant Eagle to get some creamer.' Then I get a call from the neighbors, (who) said, 'John's OK, one of the neighbors called 911.' And I'm going, 'Uh oh,'" Janice Koscakowsky told reporters.

"Has been better, could be worse, that's my new motto, you know. We're still alive. We take one day at a time and see what happens," Koscakowsky said. "I'm glad my husband's okay."

Neighbors described hearing the blast.

"I was walking up my stairs, heard a big boom. Sounded like it came from the basement. And (I) walked downstairs. It was smoky. (I) wasn't sure what happened," said Jacob Guertin.
"I'm just glad everyone's safe. It was a little intense, you know, hearing everything, then just trying to assess what's happened. You've got all that smoke," Guertin said. "It's amazing, to be honest. I don't know how he came out unscathed -- it's a pretty big accident there."

"This happens quite frequently. People don't respect the power of propane. Even a small tank, a 20-pound tank that you use every day, can cause very significant damage, as you can see," said Battalion Chief Michael Marks, of the Pittsburgh Fire Bureau. "You should never have a propane tank in your house, It should always be outside. And you should never open the valve to let the gas out at any time -- but especially in your house."