MEC&F Expert Engineers : THE ROLLOVER RISK OF TRUCKS: Semitruck hauling beer rolls over on I-70 ramp, cans fall onto I-25 below

Friday, July 22, 2016

THE ROLLOVER RISK OF TRUCKS: Semitruck hauling beer rolls over on I-70 ramp, cans fall onto I-25 below




Semitruck hauling beer rolls over on I-70 ramp, cans fall onto I-25
Posted 6:23 pm, July 20, 2016, by Web Staff, Updated at 04:58am, July 21, 2016

 

DENVER — A semitrailer hauling beer crashed at Interstate 25 and Interstate 70 in Denver on Wednesday night. The truck crashed on the eastbound I-70 ramp to northbound I-25.

Interstate 25 reopened but I-70 remained closed until just before 2 a.m. Thursday as crews worked to remove the truck from the ramp above.


Miller Genuine Draft beer was piled up in the express lanes in the center of I-25. The truck was on its side with its roof ripped open on the on ramp above the highway.


The Denver Police Department said there were no injuries in the accident, which happened about 6 p.m. A front-end loader was brought in to scoop up the pile of spilled beer debris from the highway.

A damage assessment on the bridge was also taking place. The cause of the crash is under investigation. 


THE ROLLOVER RISK OF TRUCKS
This is a classic rollover crash of a truck that is going too fast and fails to negotiate the exit ramp curve.  This crash is the result of a negligent or reckless truck driver.  It does not take much for the truck to roll over, as it can probably accommodate a g force of less than 0.4g.  If the beer load is loose or is not balanced inside the truck, then the g force allowed is even less.  So many of these rollover crashes happen every day that we are pretty much accustomed to them.