MEC&F Expert Engineers : A semi-truck hit an impact actuator, where the road splits into two lanes, overturned and exploded into massive fire on I-65 South in Indiana

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A semi-truck hit an impact actuator, where the road splits into two lanes, overturned and exploded into massive fire on I-65 South in Indiana










(Photo: WHAS 11 Viewer)

WHAS11.com Staff, @WHAS11


August 19, 2015

JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. (WHAS11) -- 


The right lane of I-65 South is open to traffic as of 12:20 p.m. following a semi-truck fire in Jeffersonville Wednesday morning, Aug. 19.

Emergency crews responded to a call around 4 a.m. about an overturned semi that caught fire near the 10th Street ramp, at Stansifer Avenue. The driver of that semi was taken to the hospital and is expected to be OK. The truck, carrying water bottles, hit an impact actuator, where the road splits into two lanes, before crossing into Kentucky.


Traffic on the north side of the Kennedy had to be rerouted as crews worked to clean up the crash, which also produced a diesel spill on the interstate. Drivers were told to detour to the Sherman Minton Bridge and onto I-64 or the Watterson Expressway before returning to I-65 in Louisville.

At one point the Kennedy Bridge was shut down in both directions.

Again, one lane of I-65 southbound is now open to traffic.






I-65 closed in Southern Indiana 


A better look at the semi that overturned on I-65 early Wednesday morning, shutting down the north and southbound lanes. WHAS 11 Julia Rose