MEC&F Expert Engineers : 3 firefighters were injured after a propane tank exploded during a home fire in Las Vegas, NV. The fire caused $300,000 in damages.

Monday, July 24, 2017

3 firefighters were injured after a propane tank exploded during a home fire in Las Vegas, NV. The fire caused $300,000 in damages.

3 firefighters injured after propane grill explosion near Alexander and Durango

by Nathan O'Neal and Tony Garcia

Sunday, July 23rd 2017

LAS VEGAS, NV (KSNV News3LV) — Three firefighters were injured after a fire Sunday night at a northwest Las Vegas valley residence.

Crews were called just after 5 p.m. for the large, one-story home on the 8600 block of Castle Hill Avenue, near West Alexander Road and North Durango Drive, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.

The investigation indicates that a propane grill that was too close to the home exploded.

“We're not sure what caused that explosion, but it did start in the barbecue,” LVFR’s Tim Szymanski said. “That's why we caution people when they're using a barbecue, it should be at least 10 feet away from any building or fence.”

When firefighters arrived, flames were seen through the roof. Additional units were called, and crews took a defensive effort to fight the fire.

During the fire, a portion of the roof collapsed striking three firefighters. One had a hand injury, it was treated on scene and released. Another firefighter was hit in the mouth and broke a tooth. Further treatment by a dentist will be needed for that injury.

One other firefighter was knocked to the ground and hurt his back and possibly his head. As a result of the possible head injury, the firefighter was taken to UMC for examination.

“It's non-life threatening, but we don't take any chances with head injuries,” said Szymanski.

None of the injuries were life threatening. No civilians were injured.

The attic and roof of the house is destroyed. There was serious damage to the interior home. The structural integrity of the house is in question and inspectors from the city’s Building and Safety Department was do a damage assessment. Damage is estimated at $300,000.


A house fire in the northwest valley injured three firefighters and caused substantial damages Sunday afternoon, the Las Vegas Fire Department said.

None of the injuries is considered life-threatening, Fire Department spokesman Tim Szymanski said.

Just after 5 p.m., a barbecue grill left unattended exploded at 8649 Castle Hill Ave., Szymanski said. A window blew out, and flames coursed through the home, reaching the attic.

As firefighters worked to control the fire, the home’s roof collapsed, Szymanski said. One firefighter fell and hurt his back and possibly also his head. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Another firefighter broke a tooth, and another suffered from a hand injury treated on scene, Szymanski said.

The one person living in the home was not injured, the Fire Department said. She will stay with friends and will not need assistance from the American Red Cross.

The fire caused $300,000 in damages. The Fire Department has ruled the fire accidental but has not determined its precise cause. The northwest valley fire is the second this summer involving a barbecue grill under an overhang, Szymanski said. He recommends placing grills at least 10 feet from the house as a precaution