MEC&F Expert Engineers : I-70 10,000 GALLON ETHANOL TANKER FIRE: Driver Identified, Cited for Crash

Thursday, July 2, 2015

I-70 10,000 GALLON ETHANOL TANKER FIRE: Driver Identified, Cited for Crash



updated: Wednesday, July 1, 2015

WEST COLUMBUS (Mike McCarthy/Kate Murphy/Sean Rowe) -- One lane of I-70 westbound near I-270 on the west side will remain closed as Ohio Department of Transportation crews clean up watered down ethanol and the charred body of a tanker, ODOT reports.

They're what's left after a tanker explosion on I-270 at I-70 about 6 a.m. Wednesday sent flames shooting into the morning sky. Reporter Mike Kilburn says metal from traffic girders melted from the heat of major flames.

As of mid-afternoon on Wednesday, ODOT officials said they were continuing with the clean up on the interchange from I-270 south to I-70 east as their engineers and inspectors are waiting to make a thorough inspection o of the bridges to see what needs repaired or replaced. Once the assessment is made, ODOT will determine the timelines forgetting I-70 east and westbound traffic moving at the interchange.

The tanker was hauling 8-10,000 gallons of ethanol, according to the Columbus Division of Police. Due to the liquid's flammable material, firefighters are using a dry chemical to attempt extinguish the fire

Charles Lackings, the 50-year-old driver of the tanker, was transported to Mount Carmel West hospital with non-life threatening injuries. was cited for failure to control and transporting a hazardous load in city limits.



Fire and heavy black smoke spewed from the tipped over tanker truck on a ramp from I-270. Columbus firefighters say what was burning under the highway made an already dangerous situation worse.

Columbus Fire Deputy Chief Jack Reall said, "This was a very intense fire. Eight thousand gallons of ethanol that was burning."

An army of firefighters, hazmat and environmental teams responded as rush-hour traffic along I-270 backed up for miles. At one point the following closures were in effect:

 - 270 NB and SB from W. Broad and Roberts
 - I-70 eastbound at Hilliard Rome Rd
 - I-70 WB at I-270 on westside
 - Ramp from 270 SB to I-70 EB on westside
 - Ramp from I-70 westbound to I-270 southbound on the westside

Fire crews didn't use water to attack the fire because, Deputy Chief Reall said, the ethanol would just mix and spread a mess.

"So, it's very difficult to separate from water. So, we don't want it going into the storm drains at all. Unfortunately, it creates damage when you let it burn. But, sometimes that's the best of the two risks," the deputy chief said.

So, firefighters waited more than an hour. Then, they attacked the fire using foam to smother the flames.

ODOT's Nancy Burton said, "This is a very dangerous situation and it's not going to be over any time soon."

Just how dangerous hasn't been measure, McCarthy reports. But, the flames appeared to have significantly damaged the I-70 east bridge.

"Obviously, concrete is hanging from the bridge, as is the rebar," Burton said. "That is not a good situation. It goes to show the intensity of the fire."

Hours later, wreckage from the fire -- including I-70 east and west bridges -- was still too hot for an up-close look from ODOT engineers. Testing, McCarthy reports, is expected to happen Wednesday afternoon.

The repair job could take days, or possible weeks, to finish.

There was no official word on what caused the crash.