Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Edward Maines, 40, was found dead after falling on a saw at Shoun Lumber in Butler, Tennessee

BUTLER, Tn. - 
An employee at Tennessee's Shoun Lumber was killed when he reportedly fell on a saw earlier this month.
On May 10, Edward Maines, 40, was found dead after reportedly falling on a saw. Maines was on the job, and apparently had been alone at the time of the incident.
Tennessee's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (TOSHA) has launched an investigation. It said:
Tennessee OSHA was notified of a workplace fatality that took play on May 10, 2018, at Shoun Lumber at 147 George Shoun Lane in Butler, TN. A TOSHA health and safety investigator was sent to the facility to being an investigation into the circumstances that led to this workplace fatality.
During the course of an investigation, TOSHA investigators will survey the scene, review company procedures and protocols, and attempt to interview both witnesses and company management."
The investigation could take up to six months to complete.
The incident comes only a week after a fire destroyed as much as half of the lumberyard. 

Mountain City man dies at Shoun Lumber

By Tamas Mondovics

A Mountain City man died at the Shoun lumberyard, a large sawmill in Butler, TN, last week when he reportedly fell on a saw.

According to Johnson County Sheriff Mike Reece, Mountain City resident Edward Maines, 40, an employee at the company was on the job when he was found dead at the scene around 5 p.m. Thursday, May 10, at Shoun Lumber, 147 George Shoun Lane.

“Upon arrival investigators found that Maines had an accident at the mill,” Reece said, adding, “He had fallen on a saw, and was deceased.”

Reece explained due to the death occurring at a place of work the incident is now under investigation by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, OSHA and the Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Administration, TOSHA. TOSHA investigators have reportedly surveyed the scene, as well as reviewed company procedures and protocols, and interviewed witnesses along with company management personnel.T OSHA officials emphasized that the completion and reaching the results of the investigation may take months, as the agency reportedly will not release any information during the investigative process.When complete and the investigation is closed, findings will become available for review by the citizen of the state of Tennessee.Officials reported that Maines’ body was sent for an autopsy and that they are waiting for those results.

Sadly the accident comes only days after a large fire that broke out at the Shoun Lumber, reportedly damaging nearly half the yard.