Monday, December 4, 2017

Appliance failure caused a fire and an estimated $40,000 in damages at the Livestock Café in Visalia, California.

A kitchen fire caused an estimated $40,000 in damages to Visalia's Livestock Cafe early Sunday morning. (Photo: Calley Cederlof)

Appliance failure causes early morning fire at Visalia restaurant
Calley Cederlof, 

Published 12:54 p.m. PT Dec. 3, 2017 


An early morning blaze caused an estimated $40,000 in damages to a Visalia restaurant.

Just before 1 a.m. on Sunday, Visalia Fire Department was called to a fire at the Livestock Café, located on the Visalia Stockyard property in northeast Visalia. When they arrived, they saw fire and smoke billowing out of the restaurant's roof.

Fire crews entered the building and discovered the kitchen ablaze and flames threatening to spread.

The cause of the fire is accidental and appears to be related to an equipment failure in the kitchen, Visalia fire officials said.

There were no injuries and the business was unoccupied at the time of the fire.

Three fire engines, one ladder truck and one battalion chief responded to the incident.

It's not known when the restaurant will be allowed to reopen.

An appliance failure appears to be the culprit here, perhaps a motor malfunction.

Another cause could be a grease fire.  They typically happen after the closing of the restaurant in the hood exhaust area of the kitchen where accumulated grease smolders and eventually catches fire.  Lack of proper cleaning is the typical culprit.