Monday, December 11, 2017

A Con Edison worker was burned in his hands after a leaking gas main burst into flames in Queens as he was making repairs


A Con Edison worker was injured on Friday night after a cracked gas main burst into flames in Queens.

The incident happened just before 8 p.m. on 37th Street in Sunnyside as a Con Ed crew was on the job fixing the gas main.

Firefighters responded to the area to put out the gas-fed flames.

The injured Con Ed employee was treated at the scene and is expected to be okay.

It's currently unknown what exactly sparked the fire.  But it all takes a spark to ignite the flammable gas.  The metal tools will easily create the spark to ignite the gas.

There were no evacuations in the area and gas service was not affected.



Two Con Edison workers suffered minor injuries in a fire in Long Island City Friday night.

The call came in around around 7:25 p.m.

Officials say a gas main leak sparked the fire at 47-48 37th Street.

The workers suffered burns to their hands. The gas main valve is expected to be closed within an hour.