Sunday, July 30, 2017

National Grid electric line worker was shocked during installation of a new utility pole in Cheektowaga, NY

National Grid worker recovering after being shocked working on new utility pole
  Updated July 27, 2017

Cheektowaga, NY
 A National Grid line worker was recovering at Erie County Medical Center Thursday after he suffered an electric shock Wednesday while doing work on Glenwood Court in Cheektowaga, officials said.

Cheektowaga police said the man was part of a crew installing a utility pole. He was taken to Erie County Medical Center, police said.

A National Grid spokesman said a worker was injured "in the course of performing his job," and taken for treatment.

"Our employee’s condition has improved since yesterday," National Grid officials said Thursday. "His family is by his side and he is in good spirits. We will continue to support him on his road to recovery."


CHEEKTOWAGA, NY-- The condition of the National Grid worker shocked while working Wednesday has improved.

National Grid released the following statement Thursday:

National Grid is pleased to report that our employee’s condition has improved since yesterday. His family is by his side and he is in good spirits. We will continue to support him on his road to recovery. National Grid is committed to the safety of our employees and continues to review the incident.

The incident happened on Glennwood Court in Cheektowaga.

National Grid released this statement following the incident: “In the course of performing his job, one of our electric line workers was injured. He was transported to the local hospital where he is being treated for his injuries. The safety of our employees continues to be our priority and we are conducting a full investigation. Please keep our employees and their families in your thoughts and prayers.”


CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. (WIVB) — Residents living in Cheektowaga’s Glenwood Court neighborhood said they heard a loud boom a few minutes before noon Wednesday, and then their power went out.

When they came outside to find out what it was, they said they heard National Grid workers screaming to call 911.

Cheektowaga police said the worker was shocked about about ten minutes before noon, and was rushed to ECMC. At about 1 p.m., the power pole the man ws installing was left charred and leaning.

The lineman’s condition wasn’t known by News 4 on Wednesday, but his injuries weren’t believed to be life-threatening.

National Grid confirmed the man was being treated for injuries.

On Thursday, News 4 learned the man’s condition had improved. National Grid said “His family is by his side and he is in good spirits.”

The company declined to say what the lineman was doing when he was shocked, other than he was injured while performing his job duties.

In a statement, a spokesman for National Grid said the safety of their employees continues to be their priority and that they’re conducting a full investigation.

Cheektowaga police will conduct a separate investigation, following state protocol that requires law enforcement agencies to investigate industrial accidents.

Representatives from Occupational Safety and Health Administration said the agency is investigating. Workers were at the scene Wednesday afternoon, and are expected to interview the lineman once he’s released from the hospital.

An estimated 256 National Grid customers were without power until approximately 5 p.m.