MEC&F Expert Engineers : Driver critically injured after the truck went off the road, hit several trees and burst into flames on I-95 in Cumberland County, NC

Monday, July 18, 2016

Driver critically injured after the truck went off the road, hit several trees and burst into flames on I-95 in Cumberland County, NC






A truck went off the road and burst into flames on I-95 in Cumberland County.

By Heather Waliga
Updated 2 mins ago
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- A truck driver was severely burned Monday evening in a tractor-trailer accident on Interstate 95.

It happened about 6:15 p.m. on I-95 South near mile marker 58 in Cumberland County.

A spokesman for the North Carolina Highway Patrol said the 2013 Freightliner ran off the road on the right shoulder and jackknifed into the woods. It then burst into flames.



Eyewitnesses told state troopers that the vehicle suddenly reduced speed and ran off the road to the right and traveled down an embankment, striking several trees before becoming engulfed in flames





A truck driver had to be life-flighted to UNC Burn Center after this fiery crash Monday.

The truck driver, identified as Gale Bernard Beasley, 61 of Clayton, was able to get out of the cab but suffered severe burns.

Beasley was life-flighted to UNC Burn Center.





Firefighters work the scene of the crash.

The southbound lanes of I-95 were closed for about 90 minutes. Traffic was directed off of I-95 south at both exits 61 and 65. All lanes of I-95 are now open and flowing, however the clean up continues on the shoulder of I-95.