MEC&F Expert Engineers

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

2 killed, 2 injured in a Mooney M20E plane crash in Collegedale, TN








By WTVC Sunday, June 12th 2016

The victims of a deadly plane crash in Collegedale have been identified.



COLLEGEDALE, Tenn. — The victims in the deadly plane crash have been identified by the Collegedale Police Department.

The aircraft was registered to the pilot, Todd Silver, out of Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

According to the FAA, the plane is a Mooney M20E built in 1964. The aircraft, registered in March of last year, according to the FAA.


The pilot was traveling with his mother, Suzanne Silver, and his two children. Suzanne Silver and a male child were pronounced dead on the scene.

Todd Silver and his daughter were air-lifted by Life Force and UT Lifestar 5 to Erlanger Hospital in downtown Chattanooga.




The crash is being investigated by the Collegedale Police Department, the Federal Aviation Administration, and the National Transportation Safety Board.

The crash happened Saturday June, 12 at the Collegedale Airport.

Silver's public Facebook page says Silver is the owner of Todd's Canopies in Fort Lauderdale, Fl.

Two dead after Cessna 150 plane crashed in Parke County, KY during take-off




Staff Report Published: June 13, 2016, 12:39 pm Updated: June 14, 2016, 1:32 pm



WTHI Photo, Lindsey Yates

PARKE COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) – The Parke County Sheriff’s Office reports two people are dead after a small plane crash Monday morning in Parke County just south of Rockville.

PCSO reports the small, single engine aircraft crashed in a wooded area near Butler Airfield around 10 a.m. and that both occupants inside the plane were pronounced dead at the scene.


Plane crash in Parke County





  

Parke County Sheriff Justin Cole reports the FAA was responding and the National Transportation Safety Board reports they are investigating as well.

NTSB stated the crash involved a Cessna 150 and the accident was during take-off.

Officials report they have not identified the two who died in the accident but autopsies are scheduled for Tuesday at Regional Hospital.

According to airnav.com, Butler Field Airport is a privately owned airfield and houses seven, single engine airplanes.

Chicago police officer on paid leave after video showing him kicking man in head








A video appears to show a Chicago police officer kicking a man in the head. (WLS)





Laura Podesta
Updated 3 mins ago
CHICAGO (WLS) -- A Chicago police officer is on paid administrative leave after a video surfaced of the officer apparently kicking a man in the head on Monday.

A video that appears to show a Chicago police officer kicking a man in the head is under investigation by the Independent Police Review Authority.

The video captured by Terrance Hobson shows a police officer trying to apprehend a suspect Monday in the 3900 block of West Grenshaw. It then shows another officer appear to kick the man in the head, knocking him out.

Witnesses say they thought their friend was dead.

"Shaquille lost consciousness, he stopped moving for like 25 or 30 minutes," said witness Lenell White. "It looked like he was passing away."

The man was rushed by ambulance to Mount Sinai Hospital for treatment according to activist Jedidiah Brown, who spoke with the family. In front of Chicago police headquarters Tuesday morning, Brown demanded the department's pattern of excessive force against African-American men must end.

"Kicking him in the face was uncalled for and it was a disgusting act and I'm glad that that police officer has been stripped of his story," Brown said.

"I just want police to stop doing all the things they've been doing to people, hurting people," said witness Travis Williams. "All they had to do was arrest the man. They didn't have to put their elbows and feet on him."

In response, Chicago police said in a written statement: "The Chicago Police Department holds its members to the highest possible professional standards with a priority on treating all Chicagoans with respect. Upon viewing the video, Superintendent Johnson immediately asked the Independent Police Review Authority to investigate the matter while the department gathers more information about the case."

Supt. Eddie Johnson made the decision to place the office on paid administrative leave after a meeting Tuesday morning.

It is not known why police were trying to arrest the man or if he will be charged with a crime.

The man being kicked in the video has secured an attorney.

Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report

More than 4,000 people were without power after a multi-alarm fire broke out at a commercial building in Maywood, Los Angeles County



4,000 without power in Maywood commercial building fire





More than 4,000 people were without power Tuesday morning after a multi-alarm fire broke out at a commercial building in Maywood, Los Angeles County fire officials said.





By Leo Stallworth
Updated 2 hrs 18 mins ago

MAYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- More than 4,000 people were without power Tuesday morning after a multi-alarm fire broke out at a commercial building in Maywood, Los Angeles County fire officials said.

More than 100 firefighters began battling the stubborn flames in the 3500 block of Fruitland Avenue at about 2:30 a.m. The fire began as a second-alarm fire before quickly turning to a third-alarm fire.

At least three explosions were heard coming out of the fully-involved structure, which were caused by water from the fire hoses hitting magnesium, according to Randall Wright of the L.A. County Fire Department.

Officials were able to keep the fire from spreading but were allowing the magnesium to burn to avoid more violent explosions.

"Magnesium is very volatile. This is a very dangerous fire we are fighting right now. The tactic we are going to use now is we are going to allow the magnesium to burn...We're going to extinguish the fire around it, therefore, this fire is going to burn for a while. We'll let it all burn off and protect the property and lives next door to the building," Wright said.




@ABC7 pic.twitter.com/s6zYfKjGEq— Carolina (@21_carolina) June 14, 2016
Officials said flames burned power lines and poles, causing thousands of residents to be without power in the area. Officials estimated a time of restoration was approximately 12 p.m.

A nearby apartment building was evacuated, but no injuries were reported, Wright said.

The cause of the fire was under investigation.

Driver lost control and slammed into a hair salon and scaffolding in the Bronx


Car slams into scaffolding, hair salon in the Bronx






Updated 2 hrs 42 mins ago
MORRISANIA, Bronx (WABC) -- Police are investigating after a car slammed into scaffolding in the Bronx Tuesday morning.

The incident happened on East 169th Street in the Morrisania section around 7:30 a.m.

Authorities say the driver lost control and slammed into a hair salon.

One person was being treated at the scene.

A portion of scaffolding was damaged.