MEC&F Expert Engineers

Thursday, April 30, 2015

AT&T WORKER CRITICALLY INJURED AFTER UTILITY POLE FALLS OVER




APRIL 30, 2015

HASTINGS, MICHIGAN

An AT&T worker was taken to the hospital by Aero Med after a utility pole collapsed Thursday morning, according to Hastings Police.

Emergency responders were called to the scene near Hastings Middle School at about 10:52 a.m., according to a release.  The 42-year-old man was fastened to the utility pole and had leaned his ladder against it when officials say the pole fell over.

Officials say he fell roughly 15 feet and suffered head and facial injuries.  He was taken to the hospital in critical condition.

WORKER FALLS ARE THE LEADING CAUSE OF INJURY OF DEATH: WORKER SUFFERS LIFE-THREATENING INJURIES IN PICKERING AFTER HE FELL THROUGH A HOLE IN THE ROOF OF A BUILDING




APRIL 30, 2015

PICKERING, ONTARIO, CANADA

A man in his 20s is being rushed to hospital with life threatening injuries after he fell through a hole in the roof of a building in Pickering.

It happened at a work site on McKay Road at around 11:30 a.m.

The man is being taken to Ajax Pickering Hospital via ground ambulance. He will then be airlifted to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto.

Police previously told CP24 that the man was unconscious at the scene.

Source: cp24.com

Another Model Employer: J&M Energy Services fined $60K for exposing workers to hazardous gas

April 30, 2015

Employer name: J&M Energy Services 

Inspection Site: Odessa, Texas

Date inspection initiated and what prompted the inspection: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration began the investigation in January, as part of the agency's new reporting requirements for in-patient hospitalization* of an employee. 

Investigation findings: The investigation by OSHA's Lubbock Area Office resulted in a willful health citation issued for failing to protect workers from contacting hazardous hydrogen sulfide gas at the well site. Hydrogen sulfide is a flammable, colorless gas with a characteristic odor of rotten eggs, which can be fatal if inhaled at certain concentrations. In addition, hydrogen sulfide gas burns and produces other toxic vapors and gases, such as sulfur dioxide. 

Workers were directed to go into the area that contained the gas even though warning monitors indicated a hazard. As a result, one worker suffered severe health effects requiring hospital treatment. A serious violation was also cited for failing to provide workers with the required personal protective equipment, in this case, respirators. 

Proposed Penalty: $60,900

Quote: "Requiring employees to work in an area that presents a known hazard such as hydrogen sulfide gas is a blatant disregard for the workers' health and safety. Such disregard will not be tolerated," said Elizabeth Linda Routh, OSHA's area director in Lubbock. "J&M Energy Services did not take the necessary steps required to keep workers safe, and as a consequence a worker was unnecessarily injured." 

Citations: http://www.osha.gov/ooc/citations/JandMEnergyServices_1019680_0429_15.pdf

Information: J&M Energy Services, an energy services company that provides well servicing to the oil and gas industry, has 15 business days from receipt of its citations to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA's area director, or contests the citations and penalties before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.

TSB of Canada supports Rail Safety Week and launches a safety study



Gatineau, Quebec, 30 April 2015

On the occasion of Rail Safety Week (27 April – 3 May), the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) reiterates its ongoing support of Operation Lifesaver’s efforts to raise awareness about rail safety. Many organizations involved with the railway industry including the Railway Association of Canada, Transport Canada (TC), provincial and municipal governments, police, and community groups cooperate to save lives by educating Canadians about the hazards surrounding rail property and trains.

In the aftermath of the Lac-Mégantic train derailment and other recent accidents, rail safety has been top of mind for Canadians across the country. “Over the past 18 months, positive action has been taken by industry and TC to address the rail safety deficiencies we've identified through our investigations,” said Jean L. Laporte, Chief Operating Officer of the TSB. “We're on the right path, but there is more work to be done.”

The TSB created its Watchlist to focus attention on the issues that pose the greatest risk to Canada's transportation system; and five of the current Watchlist issues concern railway safety. One of these issues is the need for voice and video recorders in locomotives to capture in-cab communications which provides additional information to investigators when an accident occurs. To address this outstanding Watchlist issue, the TSB is pleased to announce that it will be working with TC to conduct a joint safety study on locomotive voice and video recorders.

The safety study will look at the potential safety benefits of recorders in locomotives, identify and assess related technology issues, and identify legislative and regulatory considerations. The results of this study will provide valuable information leading to the development of an action plan for the implementation of locomotive voice and video recorders. “We're looking forward to working with TC and engaging other key stakeholders on this important safety initiative,” added Mr. Laporte.

“SHOCKING” AND “HORRIFYING” THAT A SINGLE BODY DOESN’T EXIST TO DEAL WITH A SPILL RESPONSE CLEANUP IN VANCOUVER: EXPERTS AT SFU FORUM








APRIL 30, 2015

VANCOUVER, CANADA (NEWS1130)

Is the city of Vancouver prepared for another fuel spill? A panel of experts at a forum at SFU downtown Wednesday night seem to think the city isn’t ready. The event was hosted by the Institute for Humanities at Simon Fraser University.

The speakers which have experience with oil spill recovery and the long term effects on ecosystems also offered solutions to prevent future disasters like the one at English Bay three weeks ago. Their intention was to educate and bring some hope to many who are feeling “emotional trauma” from the bunker fuel spill.

“Our response was not only inadequate but was ridiculous,” says John who was one of many people still angry about the clean-up.

Anita M. Burke international spill response expert, who’s had experience working on the Exxon Valdez spill, came up with a six-point plan.

1. Re-open the Kitsilano Coast Guard Station
2. Conduct public open formal readiness assessment to determine if we are ready
3. Do a post incident investigation and collaborate with First Nations, the public, and neighbours in Washington and Alaska that have a lot of expertise
4. Start having joint response drills with all the responsible parties physically in English Bay and practice
5. Have UBC and the Vancouver Aquarium coordinate in aquatic research, know what to do with the animals and protect them
6. Hold spill conferences in Vancouver every other year and bring experts from all over the world to share knowledge

She says it’s “shocking” and “horrifying” a single body doesn’t exist to deal with the spill cleanup. “There is not a spill response program, dedicated resources, dedicated people need to be assigned to change that and I mean change that in the next four to six months.”

“It’s sort of like saying ‘Nah, it’s ok to not put your kid in a car safety seat, bad idea, never mind,’ it’s the same thing. We’re putting our children at the same risk as if we didn’t have them buckled in the car,” compares Burke.
Source: http://www.news1130.com